“Young Adults”, is an interesting yet contradicting term. Young is a youth – colourful, vibrant, risky and spontaneous whereas Adult on the other side is – calm, stable, continual and mature. Usually age range from 18-24 is what can be termed as “Young Adults”. Firstly, it is really important to understand why a “young adult” should care about his appearance, reasons being:
- It is a competitive world today and apart from your resume, its only your personal appearance that will make you stand apart.
- It will help you develop a mind-frame that you care for yourself and are sincere towards your life and its goals.
- It will allow your superiors to see you in a perspective that college or your new job is not just a part of life but a result of your hard work and perseverance.
- And the most important aspect of dressing well and looking sharp is that you never know what opportunities you meet, hence it is better to be well prepared, all-the-time.
So, today I am writing about, how can you simplify understanding this range of age group and can style-groom in a better way – not to rule the world but to LEAD the world.
18-24: A journey from a boy to a man.
Characteristics of an individual: Energetic, Adventurous, colourful, experimental
Negative traits: trend-follower, tries hard to blend in the crowd
Opportunity: to develop a long lasting individual style
18-24 : Mostly individuals in their academic years or on threshold of professional life.
- Find your perfect style, for example do you like colourful outfits or monochromes, do you like layering your outfits with a scarf or a jacket or you just like a plain shirt.
- Don’t think about the crowd but your personal choices; go for outfits that make you confident.
- Once you know what your style is about start experimenting with it and build a wardrobe around it.
- Try shortlisting on a colour that you love and looks best on you or a style of shirt or trouser that makes your body look the best.
- Wear colors that enhance your body type, skin tone, face-type and hair color. For example:
- Body Type: Rectangle Body frame - Aim to wear an outfit that accentuate your shoulders and slim down at torso, making it look narrow.
- Skin Tone: Light Brown – Try wearing outfits that are Golden undertone/ Rusty Colours like Cocoa, Olive, Brown, Khaki, Burnt Orange, Navy.
- Face shape: Round – avoid wearing frames that are round in shape, go for sharp rectangular frames like Wayfarers.
TIP: At this age, shortlist few care-takers like a tailor, hairstylist and a doctor and keep them for life.
- Keep your wardrobe lively and full, which allows you to experiment to the edge.
- Make sure you have at least one tailored suit either in black, grey or navy.
- Focus on quality rather than quantity.
- Start investing in key styling pieces: A watch, a sunglass and a wallet.
TIP: Try to go for made-to-measure outfits as much as possible, not only it will fit you well but will highlight your best body parts.
- Again, being a college-going individual one constantly experiments with the hairstyle and facial hairs, do that but try to conclude on one style that suits you.
- In a professional life, opt for a hairstyle that’s 2-faced: classy at the work and fun at the bar.
- Buy grooming products that are rich in minerals and protein and not just chemical based.
- Eat healthy and drink lots of water, at this age your body, skin and hair needs the most nutrition.
TIP: Find a celebrity that has a face-cut like yours and see which of his hairstyle you liked the most, this way you will get an understanding of what hair-cut to have.
- Find your interests and invest in good books that help you grow in that interest apart from the professional life.
- Dedicate yourself to one sport that you like the most. Not only it makes you stay fit but will keep your blood circulation in place.
- Travel. In these years of life, not only you have the energy but time to explore places and people. Travelling helps you to understand the world with a better perspective.
TIP: Develop and focus on one hobby of yours. You never know when that can become your full time job/ business.